Friday, July 31, 2009

Museum Hopping...

Ok, so everyone knows I love art, but I have yet to really share this love with my kids. So today, even though my throat was throbbing, I decided to induct them into a new tradition I am hoping will continue (here's to hoping, right?). You see, today was the last day of the Walter Wick exhibit. I have been wanting to see it since it opened in February and had yet to make the trek to Provo. I, of course, hadn't realized it until this morning during swimming lessons. So, after a quick picnic of Lunchables under a tree in Smith's Parking lot :), away we went. Not being adept at navigation (let alone navigating someplace I hardly frequent), I had to lean on my phone Nav, which is a new thing for me. We listened to "Olivia's" (Miss Pickle's name for her) monotone directions all the way there. Thankfully, we made it the first try (way better than my usual MO). When we turned into the parking lot and I saw the sign (this is embarassing), I giggled and clapped with delight and disbelief. I actually made it somewhere with no stress and no u-turns!

Anyway, it was a lot of fun to spend time just the three of us. In addition to the WW exhibit, there was a modern show running that I absolutely loved! The kids were surprisingly interested and seemed to enjoy most of the pieces. Afterward, we found our way to an animal museum (aka taxidermy central), which was also quite fascinating--aside from the creepishness of petrified creatures. It was a lovely way to end my week of all-nighter, final"ish" projects. I now have 3 weeks, and counting, to complete all of the house"ish" projects I have been putting off! Let the fun begin.

Can I ever hope to get them both to look at the camera at the same time?

Water pipes! Complete with running water. So cool!


Thinking glass? Oh, no my friends--think Chinese take-out sauce packets! Brilliant!

I decided to spare you of the "stuffed animals," and just show you cute kid pics instead. :)


I have a daughter who is completely into butterflies! This was a beautiful example!

4 comments:

kris said...

That art exhibit looks so awesome!
You went to the Bean Museum! Aaron was a janitor there for a few years while he was going to school so we always take the kids there for a visit. The butterflies are Paige's favorite too :)

girlygirl said...

That's so awesome! I didn't know that. It really is a cool museum. I hear they have a reptile night, so I am hoping to go back for that. Thanks for the post!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like a cool outing.

I am so glad you have "Olivia"! I can't think of anyone who needs her more! (and I say that with the most love and concern possible ;))

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad you made it without problems. :) It was fun to see you tonight.