Tuesday, August 26, 2008

When it rains, it pours...

Since I have found myself in the land of insomnia, yet again, I thought I would share our newest appliance malfunction. The same repairman came to my house again today to look at - no, not my fridge - my washing machine. It appears it bit the dust. I guess I was under the misguided assumption they were supposed to last longer than 6 years. So tonight, we trudged over to Sears to check out the competition. After an hour of contemplation (and a few wild kid antics later), we were not impressed. So, we decided to think on it some more and hopefully make a decision soon. Does anyone have a front loader they would like to recommend? We have become such a throwaway society that manufacterers don't make stuff to last anymore. The repair for our current washer costs at least as much as it would be for a new one! Just ridiculous! And the new ones don't feel very sturdy - unless you are looking in the 1000 - 1500 range. Anyway, kind of a boring post, but I needed to vent a little. I hate buying stuff anymore because the quality is just not there and I always feel like I'm wasting my money. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'll just start handwashing my clothes. I'm sure not much can go awry with a washboard!

4 comments:

granny said...

Two of my kids have had front loaders and have loved them. I recently had a guy out to repair my old washer, and he told me he wouldn't buy a front loader. Too many problems. I was pretty surprised. Good luck with your decision...you gotta love laundry.

Karen Miles said...

I have a Kenmore (Sears) fron loader washer and dryer that I have used for over five years now and I love them! I have not had one bit of trouble with them. They use a lot less water, are easier on the clothes and take less soap. I did spend a bit more for them, but I feel that they ar egreat quality and will last a long time. Good luck!

Emmy Z. said...

I'm just so happy to HAVE a washer and dryer of my own now... Wish I could offer you some help, but just know that I'm on your side - appliances should last twice as long as they do!

Unknown said...

I highly recommend a front loader. I had (my sister now owns it) a maytag and now we have an LG. Neither which had any problems. Definitely worth the extra money. My aunt has a frigidaire and she loves it. Do what you feel comfortable. Call me if you want to check it out.